HISTORY OF SOUTHERN LOCAL ELEMENTARY
Southern Local School District has undergone significant changes since 1990's building assessment. In 1990 the District operated five schools. Number Sixteen Elementary School was a 8,998 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades K-4. Franklin Elementary School was a 7,500 s.f. 1923/1938/1950 building which they used for grades K-4. Highlandtown Elementary School was a 7,980 s.f. 1940 building which they used for grades 1-4. Southern Middle was a 31,917 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades 5-8. Southern Local High School was a 49,952 s.f. 1962 building which they used for grades 9-12
In 1991, the District closed and sold Number Sixteen Elementary School and Franklin Elementary School. Modular buildings were added on the property of Highlandtown Elementary School, was renamed Southern Local Primary School, and was used for grades K-2. Southern Local Middle School was renamed Southern Local Intermediate School and used for grades 3-6.
In January of 2002, the Board of Education and Administrators braved the cold for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new K-12 complex. Construction began in March of 2002.
Southern Local Primary School
Southern Local Primary School (7,980 s.f. K-2 building), formerly known as Highlandtown Elementary School, was constructed in 1953. 3,985 s.f. of temporary modular classrooms were placed on-site in 1991. Two separate modular classrooms also existed on this site. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualified for total building replacement. The probable costs for new construction/addition and reconstruction of the exiting building exceed two-thirds of the cost. The choice was made to replace the building with a new building.
Southern Local Intermediate
Southern Local Intermediate School (31,917 s.f 3-6 building), formerly known as Southern Middle School was constructed in 1938. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to the standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualified total building replacement, again the probable costs for construction/addition and reconstruction of the existing building exceeded two-thirds of the cost to replace the building with a new building.
Southern Local Elementary
By January of 2004, all students and staff claimed ownership of the new Southern Local K-12 complex. Southern Local Primary and Southern Middle School became Southern Local Elementary.